Action, awareness and education: Our foundation of responsible gambling
Responsible gambling (RG) is one of our core values at Atlantic Lottery. That’s why we have a robust RG strategy: to educate our players to support them to make informed decisions. When players know the facts, they play for fun and entertainment.
PlayWise, a collection of tips and tools to help players make informed decisions when they play, was created for this very reason. The PlayWise program helps people learn about chance versus skill-based games, discover key gambling facts, understand the odds, dispel common gambling myths, and find tips for playing responsibly.
However, RG doesn’t end with the PlayWise program. Each area of Atlantic Lottery’s business, including alc.ca, retail, destination and Red Shores destinations, have their own features in place to maximize the effectiveness of our RG efforts. While responsible gambling measures look different in various lines of business, every feature is rooted in awareness, action or education.
In this three-part series on responsible gambling at Atlantic Lottery, we will take a look at the various features used in each line of business. The first area of our business that we’ll discuss is alc.ca.
Our online platform, alc.ca is where players can access their favourite Atlantic Lottery games and check winning numbers, all from the comfort of their own home or on the go. Regardless of where players access our games and products, RG is always an important consideration.
The first of many RG features on alc.ca is the Account Control Panel. This panel is available on all screens when a player is logged into their alc.ca account and includes the following features:
- Session Time: Players can keep track of how much time they’ve spent on alc.ca in their current session.
- Account Balance: Shows a player how much money is in their account. Funds are always displayed as cash, not credits.
- Limit Settings: There are three types of limit setting on alc.ca; weekly deposit limit, daily spent limit, and daily time limit. Players can decrease their limits at any time for any reason; however, a requested increase will only take effect after 24 hours. Here’s a breakdown of these limit settings:
- Weekly Deposit Limit: All alc.ca members are required to set a weekly deposit limit before their first deposit. Players will be reminded on a regular basis to verify their deposit limit to encourage them to consider their spending.
- Daily Spend Limit: Players can set an optional daily spend limit to ensure they never spend more than they are comfortable with or than their budget allows.
- Daily Time Limit: Players can set an optional daily time limit. This allows players to ensure they’re maintaining a healthy balance between their play and other activities.
When players set a Daily Time Limit, a pop-up message is displayed five minutes before their allotted time expires, and once again one minute before the limit. Once that daily limited is reached, a player can no longer make wagers for the next 24 hours.
A 24-Hour Pause button is always displayed directly below the games when a player is logged into their alc.ca account. Clicking on the 24-Hour Pause button will “lock out” a player from making any wagers for 24 hours. Any subscriptions or advance play tickets already purchased will play out as scheduled, however, no new wagers can be made.
Continuously displayed next the 24-Hour Pause button on every page of alc.ca, the Self-Exclusion button is available if at any time a player feels they need a break from play. Self-exclusion is voluntary for a period of 6, 12, 24 or 36 months with an immediate suspension of the account. A self-excluded player is not able to log-in to their account to wager, play or enter tickets until their selected self-exclusion period is complete.
Following a self-exclusion period, a player must view a Reinstatement Tutorial that provides information to help them ensure coming back to alc.ca is a sound decision before reinstating their account. The tutorial must be completed in full before their account is activated and they are able to wager on the site.
The newest feature on alc.ca is the PlayWise Rating. This tool provides players with a confidential, personal play rating based on their activity on alc.ca. Intended to help players make informed choices when they play on alc.ca, it is calculated using information such as the RG features they use, what games they play and how often, how much they wager, and any notable changes in these areas.
We know, that was a lot of information! That’s because we take responsible gambling very seriously. It is woven into the fabric of every game, program, advertisement, promotion and practice offered to players. That’s why Atlantic Lottery achieved Level 4 Recertification under the World Lottery Association (WLA) Responsible Gaming Framework – the highest level available to a lottery under the framework, which the corporation has achieved and maintained for more than a decade.
This article is Part I in a three-part series focusing on Atlantic Lottery’s RG efforts. In Part II, we’ll be taking a closer look at the features and safety measures in place for our retail and destination lines of business. So stay tuned and remember, PlayWise materials and other helpful resources are always available on alc.ca for anyone who wishes to use them.